We encourage you to visit the following websites for information on propane and home heating oil:
PROPANE SAFETY TIPS
1. No Flames or Sparks!
2. Leave the Area Immediately!
- Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or fire.
3. Shut Off the Gas.
- Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
4. Report the Leak.
- Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
5. Do Not Return to the Area until you have been told it is safe to do so.
- From a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call your local Blarney Castle office right away. If you can’t reach our office, call 911 or your local fire department.
6. Get Your System Checked.
- Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.
ENERGY EFFICIENCY TIPS TO HELP SAVE YOU MONEY
- Reduce your annual heating costs by following these tips:
- Have your heating system regularly inspected, cleaned, and tested for efficiency and proper operation. A heating system that runs well is more efficient and will save you money.
- Turn down the thermostat when you’re not at home. You can cut your annual heating bills by as much as 10% by turning your thermostat down 10-15% for 8 hours a day.
- Protect against drafts by caulking and weather-stripping around windows, doors, and other openings suck as ductwork, fans, and vents.
- Install flow-restricting showerheads. You can reduce hot water usage by 50% without affecting shower pressure.
- Clean or replace furnace filters monthly. Clean filters will increase the efficiency of your furnace.
- Run washing machines, dryers, and dishwashers with a full load.
- Turn down your water heater from the standard 120 degrees to 115 degrees. This will save more than 10% on your water heating bill.
- Increase your water heater’s efficiency by draining it every 6 months to remove mineral deposits and sediments.
- Check the chimney and appliance vent systems once a year to insure all connections are secure.
- Ensure warm-air registers and baseboard heaters are clean and not blocked by furniture or drapes.